VANECTYL P

(1/3) > >>

1pugforme:
My Vet has Blossom on Vanectyl P has anyone used this?

blanche:
Jean:
I haven't used this as my only severely allergic dog is already on prednisone and this wouldn't be recommended for him.  Here's what I could find on the internet about it.

VANECTYL-P

(For veterinary information only)

IMPORTANT NOTES: Do NOT stop this medication abruptly!  Adhere strictly to the dosing schedule given by the veterinarian.  Tell your petís veterinarian if your pet is diabetic, pregnant, or has ever had seizures.  Tell the veterinarian that you pet is on this medication before any surgery.

As with all medications, it is extremely important that this medication be used ONLY for the pet for which it is prescribed.

BRAND NAME: VANECTYL-Pģ

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Vanectyl-Pģ is a combination of trimeprazine tartrate (antihistamine related to phenothiazines) and prednisolone (anti-inflammatory corticosteroid).  It is used for the relief of itching and inflammation in skin disorders such as dry or moist eczema, non-specific dermatitis, and fungal infections in dogs.  It also suppresses coughing.

SIDE EFFECTS

Side effects from the trimeprazine may include sedation, lethargy, exposed third eyelid, muscle tremors, weakness, or blood disorders and rarely, aggressiveness.  Side effects from the prednisolone (corticosteroid) component may include an increase in drinking, eating, and urinating, weight gain, dull, dry hair coat, delayed wound healing, and possible increased sensitivity to bacterial infections.

This medication may also cause stomach upset or diarrhea.  These side effects often subside as your pet adjusts to the medication. 

Overdose symptoms would include symptoms relating to the phenothiazine derivatives: excessive sedation, low blood pressure, slowed breathing and heart rates, pale gums, unsteady movements, unconsciousness, or seizures.

INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS

The following drugs can potentially interact with Vanectyl-Pģ: amphotericin B, potassium depleting diuretics, digitalis glycosides, salicylates, insulin, phenytoin, phenobarbital, other CNS depressant agents, antidiarrheal mixtures, antacids, rifampin, cyclosporin, cyclophosphamide, mitotane, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, anticholinesterase agents.

This medication may increase or prolong the action of pain medications, sedatives, and general anesthetics.

This medication may increase the risks associated with the use of organophosphates and procaine hydrochloride.

This medication may reduce the effect of epinephrine.

It is NOT to be used in patients taking phenytoin, phenobarbital, amphotericin B, diuretics, insulin, or quinidine.

CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS

This medication is not to be used in pets hypersensitive (allergic) to either of the ingredients.

Vanectyl-Pģ is not to be used in pregnant or nursing pets, or in diabetic pets.

Tell the veterinarian that your pet is on this medication before any surgery.

Tell your petís veterinarian if your pet has ever had asthma or lung disease, glaucoma, ulcers, liver disease, heart disease, high blood pressure, seizures, or an overactive thyroid gland.

Continuous use of this medication for more than 10 days requires monitoring by your petís veterinarian.

Give this medication exactly as directed. Do not give more or less of it or give it more often than prescribed by your petís veterinarian.

Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 672-7800.

Disclaimer: While Camrose Animal Clinic has endeavoured to make sure the information contained in this document is accurate, The Camrose Animal Clinic cannot guarantee the accuracy of such information, and it is provided without warranty or guarantee of any kind.  This information is not intended to replace the advice of your petís own veterinarian.  .  This advisory includes selected information only and may not include all side effects of this medication or interactions with other medications. Ask your veterinarian or pharmacist for more information or if you have any questions.

pugmetender:
Jean, I took my Lola to our Vet's on Wednesday and he put her on it as well. She had been biting at her paws since the beginning of August. Last summer she was itchy from the beginning of July but not as severely as this year. Our Vet said it was most likely because summer was late coming therefore the pollen hit the air later.

Last year and this year I soaked her feet in a little warm water after each of her 3 walks, added cod liver oil to her breakfast, gave her Benadryl and tried to keep our windows shut as much as possible to keep the pollen out. Last year it worked, this year it didn't.

I took her to our Vet's when she was waking at night to franticly bite at her paws and I saw that they were getting swollen, inflamed and bleeding.

Pretty well immediately she stopped itching after I started on the meds. The only side effects I can see is she doesn't seem to have as much energy as usual, I've cut our walks in half.

Our Vet also recommended I soak her paws in Buro-sol [an antiseptic powder] and cool water,  2 times a day for 5 days. Not all drug stores carry it, I went to 3 before I found it in my Dr.'s medical building pharmacy.

Jean, was your Blossom having allergic reactions too? I hope she's  doing OK on it. The frost should be here soon and alleviate the problem for many allergic animals and humans.

Maureen

1pugforme:
Thanks Blanche I found the same info also, it's the side effects that worry me.
Maureen Blossom has very bad allergies also this year and like Lola she is also licking and chewing her paws and it seams to be all 4 paws.  It started with the itching under her leg pits, sorry I don't know what else to call that area, it became very red with very little fur. Blossom has been on it since July, 1 tab every other day, (60 day supply). I do wash her paws, I'll call my vet about the Buro-sol. The side effect I see in her is her weight gain. And is it safe to also give Benadryl with this med? I know you and I spoke at Surf'n Pug about how much Benadryl  to give and how often, Blanche do you know about Benadryl.  Her diet is the same but I have noticed that she eats more dry than her chicken or turkey. I just don't like giving so much meds. Last year it was well into Nov before she was back to her old self. I do see a change put at times she is still at the paws. Hope Lola is doing ok.

blanche:
The weight gain is a side effect of the prednisone, unfortunately.  I'd ask your vet before giving her anything else as the list of meds that can interact is long. I soak itchy dogs in Epsom salts.  Warm water, some epsom salts and let them soak about 15 minutes if they'll sit still for it.

I think generally this has been a bad year for allergies.  Tank has had a bad time of it and I put him back onto pred every other day from once every 5 to 7 days.  And I know my allergies have been bad this year and I usually don't have a lot of trouble.  Tank has been on Reactine when he's been really bad.  Between that and the pred he seems mostly okay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page